[llvm-dev] Is clang+llvm deterministisc?

章明 via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 16 19:07:49 PDT 2017

Thank you for your quick reply!

"If you don't want to rely on Clang reproducibility, you could save the IR into a .bc file. Clang can directly take a .bc file as input."

I'm aware of LLVM bitcode, but I'm not quite sure about what it really is, since I haven't found any official documentation that clarifies this concept.

LLVM bitcode seems to be just another form of LLVM IR, according to "Bitcode Demystified" (https://lowlevelbits.org/bitcode-demystified/).

If that is true, then bitcode still has to go through all passes in the backend, e.g., instruction selection, register allocation, etc.

I don't think I can work with LLVM bitcode, because I don't want those backend passes to interfere with my instrumentation process.

Is it possible to save the intermediate result at the point right before the machine intermediate representation (MIR) is translated into native assembly code, so that a new run of clang/llc can read it and continue to compile correctly?

I have read LLVM's official documentation about MIR (http://llvm.org/docs/MIRLangRef.html). It seems that MIR is currently only used for test purposes and still misses some important features. I'm afraid that the missing features may lead the compiler to generate incorrect native assembly code.

"For the reproducibility, I think we try to preserve that, but sometime we lose it, you may have to specify -frandom-seed."

The comments in the source code of clang (in clang/lib/Driver/tools.cpp) indicates the -frandom-seed option is not supported.

I noticed that llc has a -rng-seed option, but I haven't found any documentation about it.

Could you please tell me more about the reason why clang/llvm needs to use a random number generator and about the command line options?

Thank you!

If you don't want to rely on Clang reproducibility, you could save the IR into a .bc file. Clang can directly take a .bc file as input.

You then:
- instrument a copy of that .bc file and run your counting
- add control flow checking on an other copy of the original .bc file and you have your final binary