[llvm-dev] A bug related with undef value when bootstrap MemorySSA.cpp

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 17 14:09:36 PDT 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Wei Mi <wmi at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> It seems MemorySSA.cpp is the only real code where we found the
>> problem happening.
>

> This is doubtful, ¸FWIW :)
>

>> Is it possible to change the source of
>> MemorySSA.cpp to hide the problem and buy some time for now? Now we
>> use an empty generic_def_path_iterator with Optional<ListIndex> N
>> being initialized by None as the end of range. Can we initialize the
>> Optional var with a special value instead of None?
>>
>>   iterator_range<def_path_iterator> def_path(ListIndex From) {
>>     return make_range(def_path_iterator(this, From), def_path_iterator());
>>   }
>>

> Why does this work?

Fwiw, I don't think this is a good idea.  If it can happen in
MemorySSA it can happen in other organic C++ source code too - think
about what you're going to tell other folks who run into this issue,
where such a workaround may be difficult to achieve or explain.

-- Sanjoy