[llvm-dev] failing to optimize boolean ops on cmps

Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 15 13:33:12 PDT 2017

For the record, Craig found a better way to solve the immediate problem
than what I had thought of:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D35451

So for this brief moment, instcombine should get both more powerful and
slightly more efficient. I agree with the position that this just delays
the inevitable day when we need to break instcombine up by giving it more
defined goals. Some people would say we already hit that point, and I
believe it...but I've asked multiple times for a bug report, test case, or
profile with no reply. Hacking at it would again just be delaying a
structural change, but I think it's still worth looking at.