[llvm-dev] [Job Ad] Compiler engineering positions at Julia Computing

Keno Fischer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 15 09:01:34 PDT 2017

We're growing our compiler team. As people may know, Julia makes heavy use
of LLVM (and Clang as well for the C++ integration). We're big believers in
open source and essentially all of the work we do finds its way back into
the relevant open source projects. The full job description is available at
https://juliacomputing.com/careers/compiler.html, reproduced below for your
convenience.

Boston, MA, USA - Julia is an exciting new language in the increasingly
important field of mathematical computing. As machine learning becomes part
of every programmer’s stack of tools, new demands are being put on
programming languages and compilers to meet the need of simple and
efficient mathematical computing. Julia Computing, one of the top
contributors to the open source Julia programming language, is seeking
compiler and systems engineers to take Julia and its tooling far beyond
today’s capabilities.

We work at all levels of the software stack, from the hardware up, in order
to support julia and its applications. Any experience working at the kernel
(Linux primarily), toolchain, compiler, language, or developer tooling
level, would be highly beneficial. Since tasks often span a significant
range of this stack, interest in and the willingness to learn about the
rest of the stack are required.

Knowledge of or previous experience with Julia is not required, but would
be beneficial. However, experience working with systems-level tools
(C/C++/Rust/GDB/perf etc) would be highly desirable.

Substantial portions of this work will involve contributions back to
existing open source projects (Julia/LLVM/Linux, libraries, etc.) or the
development of new open source projects.

Example tasks may include:

- Working with the core language team on future versions of the julia
programming language (Don’t like something about the language? Here’s your
chance to fix it!)
- Supporting and enhancing the performance of julia HPC applications at
petascale and beyond (Obsessed about performance? Us too! Come play with
supercomputers)
- Enabling julia on next-generation hardware architectures and accelerators
(Like fancy new hardware? Want to play with it before everyone else? Can
do!)
- Developing modern developer tooling (debuggers, profilers, static
analysis/verification tools) (Think you can do better than the state of the
art here? Come try it out!)
- Enhancing the compile-time performance of julia and the underlying LLVM
compiler (Cut down the iteration time for scientist using julia - help them
come up with new ways to cure cancer, solve climate change or survey the
sky faster)
- Developing novel programming models for diverse kinds of hardware (What’s
the best way to program all these crazy architectures? We don’t know yet,
but we’re planning to find out. Maybe you have the crucial idea)

Both senior and junior full-time positions are available. This
advertisement is for our Boston, MA, USA location. There are no formal
education requirements.

If this position interests you, or you have any questions, please contact
us atjobs at juliacomputing.com