[llvm-dev] failing to optimize boolean ops on cmps

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 14 11:46:11 PDT 2017

On 07/14/2017 01:38 PM, Daniel Berlin wrote:

>     Not sure about this last part. It is really going to require work
>     by us to rewrite things. :-) In the mean time, I think we should
>     go ahead with this.
>

> FWIW: My problem is, when put in this framework, we will repeatedly
> make this same decision, this same way, again and again, and never
> actually get even started on fixing it :)
>
> IE "it's just another small patch!"

You're correct. However, as I'm sure you're aware, developer time is not
directly transferable in a way that makes any other decision optimal.
It's not like blocking all improvements to InstCombine will cause a
movement to appear to rewrite InstCombine. It will only cause a shrink
in the pool of developers with recent experience working on InstCombine
(and a lot of out-of-tree patches). Frankly, we don't even have a
concrete plan for how we'd do this, or even a target design, and that's
the first item on the critical path to a rewrite. We should start an RFC
and iterate on this until we have a concrete plan and migration plan.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility