[llvm-dev] RFC: Harvard architectures and default address spaces

Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 13 10:25:16 PDT 2017

My point was that the DataLayout isn't available inside the LLParser and the BitcodeReader, up until the point when it has been parsed. So I would not say "always available".

Both LLParser and BitcodeReader is for example using getAddressSpace(), both directly and maybe also indirectly through different interfaces (perhaps not on function pointers though). My concern is that maybe the incorrect address space will be used while parsing, and then it might be hard to find all places to fixup at a later stage. when having parsed the DataLayout and finding out what the default address space really is.
Or if there is some undocumented(?) rule that the DataLayout always comes before function declarations in the ll/bc file, then all functions can get the default address space attribute directly (as indicated by the DataLayout) when being parsed.

I think the whole idea from Dylan was to do this as a fixup after LLParser/BitcodeReader. I.e not trying to lookup a functions address space already when parsing the function declaration. So then the rule would be - do not use Pointer<Function>::getAddressSpace(), or PointerType::get() etc. during ll/bc parsing because it might give the wrong result. Maybe it is possible to assert on that?

We could of course give functions some kind of undefined address space value when parsing ll/bc and adding functions to the symbol table. That might help us catch situations when someone tries to fetch the address space for a function pointer before the set-default-address-space-as-given-by-datalayout-on-all-functions pass has executed.