[llvm-dev] RFC: Harvard architectures and default address spaces

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 13 07:00:48 PDT 2017

On 07/13/2017 05:38 AM, Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev wrote:
> My experience of having the address space for functions (or function pointers) in the DataLayout i that when the .ll file is parsed we need to parse the DataLayout before any function declarations. That is needed because we want to attribute the functions with correct address space (according to DataLayout) when inserting them in the symbol table. An alternative would be to update address space info for functions after having parsed the DataLayout.
>
> Is the DataLayout normally used when parsing the .ll file (or .bc)? Or would this be the first case of doing that?
>
> Is it guaranteed that DataLayout is specified/parsed before function declaration, or that the DataLayout specification is context sensitive and only is valid for the following declarations?

The DataLayout is a required part of the .ll/.bc file. In the .ll file
(*), it's the part of the module that looks like this:

   target datalayout = "e-m:e-i64:64-f80:128-n8:16:32:64-S128"

it is global to the entire module and always available.

(*) It is true that you can write tests without specifying one of these,
but in such cases, you just get the builtin default. For all real cases
you'll need to have a target-appropriate DataLayout string.

> What if there are several address spaces for functions? Or is that a silly thing that no one ever will use? Having the address space specified in the DataLayout would be insufficient, since we would need to attribute the functions separately, right?
>
> I do not say that having the info in the DataLayout is a totally bad idea (since our out-of-tree target is using that trick), but I think it might impose some problems as well. And perhaps it isn't the most general solution.

If different functions might be in different address spaces, you'll need
some other mechanism to set the address space (as a single default won't
suffice). You might use source-level function attributes, for example.

  -Hal

> /Björn

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility