[llvm-dev] moving libfuzzer to compiler-rt?

George Karpenkov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 11 19:02:47 PDT 2017

I’ve submitted a WIP PR: https://reviews.llvm.org/D35288

There remains a number of unsolved issues:

1) Naming: “runtimes” enforces LLVM naming convention.
The project name is formed by removing the “lib” prefix, and then that is the main ninja target,
and check-PROJ_NAME is used for tests.
Thus for libfuzzer the choices for folder/target name/tests target name become
`libfuzzer`/`fuzzer`/`check-fuzzer`.

That is not optimal, but the situation is even worse if the folder is called `libFuzzer`,
as targets rarely start with capital letters.

2) Dependencies: libFuzzer tests depend on ASAN and UBSAN.
It’s not possible to directly depend on other projects from “runtimes”, as the code is compiled using
a recursive CMake invocation.
Those are also runtimes, and thus apparently it’s not possible to clearly depend on them
in `runtimes/CMakeListst.txt` (though maybe the target list can be lazily parsed for tests?)
The relevant problem was highlighted in a comment in https://reviews.llvm.org/D33048

3) CMake files in LLVM root repository do a rather large amount of trickery:
more warning flags are introduced, default linking commands for different platforms are changed,
etc.
None of this is picked up when running from the “runtimes” directory, which is often undesirable,
as the runtime would be built very differently from the rest of LLVM, missing those desired warnings/optimizations.

Additionally, working with “runtimes” introduces some inherent restrictions.
Namely:

4) Extra arguments to CMake will not be propagated.
E.g. invoking `cmake … -DLLVM_USE_SANITIZE_COVERAGE=1` will not have any effect on the compilation of any project
in “runtimes”.
It’s not clear how those flags can be explicitly propagated.

5) In a similar vein to (4), additional flags to `ninja` will not be propagated.
E.g. running “ninja -v check-blah” will actually not show the commands required to execute the tests,
as it goes through a CMake invocation.
This issue has a workaround: ninja can be launched directly from “runtimes/runtime-bins”, but that is counterintuitive.

6) Recursive invocation required for “runtimes” breaks `compile_commands.json` construction, which is used
by many editors and tools (e.g. Vim+Ale or rtags) for go-to-defintion and error highlight functionality.
There is a workaround: a separate `compile_commands.json` is generated for the `runtimes` directory,
and it might be possible to write some magic to inject it back into the parent one, but that would be yet-another-piece-of-build-infrastructure
which would have to be maintained.

7) Similarly to (6), recursive invocation breaks XCode tooling: in a generated XCode project,
no libfuzzer files are accessible. I would assume same would hold for other IDEs.

Any thoughts or comments on these?
While (1) is not really a problem, and I can probably find a workaround for (2), the issues
listed in (3)-(7) seem inherent to recursive CMake invocation.
I can think of a number of alternative suggestions, which would solve the problem of requiring a 2-stage build:

a) We can move the compilation commands for libFuzzer tests from CMake into lit.
This would have an added benefit of each lit test being self-contained: it would be sufficient to just run
“lit” to reproduce everything, and it would pick up all changes to compiler/coverage instrumentation/sanitizers/etc.
The first run would generate the tested binaries, and further tinkering could be done with binaries directly if desired.

b) We can use the “tools” directory instead.

Thanks,
George