[llvm-dev] [LLD] Linker Relaxation

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 11 11:21:40 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>     if (i < 100){
>         printf("%d\n", i);
>     }
>     return i;
> }
>
> int main(){
>     foo(10);
>     return 0;
> }
>
> After compiling to a .o with -O2 -march=RV32IC we get (just looking at foo)
>
> 00000000 <foo>:
>    0: 1141                 addi sp,sp,-16
>    2: c422                 sw s0,8(sp)
>    4: c606                 sw ra,12(sp)
>    6: 06300793           li a5,99
>    a: 842a                 mv s0,a0
>    c: 00a7cb63           blt a5,a0,22 <.L2>
>   10: 85aa                 mv a1,a0
>   12: 00000537           lui a0,0x0
>   16: 00050513           mv a0,a0
>   1a: 00000317           auipc t1,0x0
>   1e: 000300e7           jalr t1
>
> 00000022 <.L2>:
>   22: 40b2                 lw ra,12(sp)
>   24: 8522                 mv a0,s0
>   26: 4422                 lw s0,8(sp)
>   28: 0141                 addi sp,sp,16
>   2a: 8082                 ret
>
> And after linking:
>
> 00010164 <foo>:
>    10164:       1141                    addi    sp,sp,-16
>    10166:       c422                    sw      s0,8(sp)
>    10168:       c606                    sw      ra,12(sp)
>    1016a:       06300793                li      a5,99
>    1016e:       842a                    mv      s0,a0
>    10170:       00a7c863                blt     a5,a0,10180 <foo+0x1c>
>    10174:       85aa                    mv      a1,a0
>    10176:       0001a537                lui     a0,0x1a
>    1017a:       6a050513                addi    a0,a0,1696 # 1a6a0
> <__clz_tab+0x100>
>    1017e:       2a69                    jal     10318 <printf>
>    10180:       40b2                    lw      ra,12(sp)
>    10182:       8522                    mv      a0,s0
>    10184:       4422                    lw      s0,8(sp)
>    10186:       0141                    addi    sp,sp,16
>    10188:       8082                    ret
>
> The linker has done quite a lot!
>
> 1) the format string address generation has had the LUI (Load Upper
> Immediate)
> changed from 0x0 to 0x1a (the literal is in flash memory). If it had
> stayed at
> 0x0 it would have been removed by the linker. The mv a0,a0 (which is really
> addi a0,a0,#0) has had the real immediate filled in.
>
> 2) the call of printf had the general call-anywhere-in-the-address-space
> auipc
> (Add Upper Immediate to PC); jalr (Jump And Link to address in Register
> (plus
> offset)) sequence replaced by a simple jal (Jump And Link, with PC +/- 1
> MB range)
>
> 3) as the jal offset was in fact less than +/- 2 KB, the 32 bit jal was
> replaced by a
> 16 bit jal instruction.
>
> 4) the conditional branch has been shortened from 18 bytes to 12 bytes due

Thanks, Bruce. This is a very interesting optimization.

lld doesn't currently have code to support that kind of code shrinking
optimization, but we can definitely add it. It seems that essentially we
need to iterate over all relocations while rewriting instructions until a
convergence is obtained. But the point is how to do do it efficiently --
link speed really matters. I can't come up with an algorithm to parallelize
it. Do you have any idea?

In order to shrink instructions, all address references must be explicitly
represented as relocations even if they are in the same section. I think
that means object files for RISC-V have many more relocations than the
other architectures. Is this correct?