[llvm-dev] Using TSAN along with custom llvm IR pass

Nischai Vinesh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 9 06:50:55 PDT 2017

Hello,

I tried that as well but there are no tsan warnings thrown at run time,
even though there are data race error!

The steps I followed:
1. Generate bitcode using 'clang -emit-llvm' command
2. Using the 'opt -load ..' command, I instrumented the bitcode file with
my custom pass
3. Using the command 'opt -tsan ..', instrumented the output bitcode file
from step 2
4. Using the llvm backend compiler, 'llc', compiled the program to native
assembly
5. The output from step 4 is compiled again with 'clang -fsanitize=thread'
(linking tsan here) for the final object file.

Executing this final output file works fine, except that it doesn't throws
any TSAN warnings!

In between, lli command is used to invoke the LLVM Interpreter.