[llvm-dev] CMake dependencies and building LLVM

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 7 10:41:57 PDT 2017

> On 7 Jul 2017, at 17:12, David Blaikie via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I'm /guessing/ this is probably pretty normal - but likely the best solution would be to get down to granularity of 1 commit in each of those ranges, to see if it's really justified that the change causes so much recompilation (ie: do all the things that got compiled really depend on the modified file)
>
> Some of this might be tablegen recompiling - but I /think/ that ninja has some support/seems to do the right thing when the resulting tablegen binary isn't different from previously (or maybe when it doesn't generate different output - this would be better) & doesn't cause everything to rebuild (you'll notice Ninja sometimes starts with a very high estimate (1000+) of targets to rebuild, but the estimate is adjusted down to only a couple of hundred in many cases probably due to this.

I can confirm that tablegen-erated files do the right thing and that it's based on the output of tablegen. Our cmake scripts do it by having llvm-tblgen write to a temporary file and then use 'cmake -E copy_if_different' to update the real one when necessary. Once ninja has run the copy_if_different command it re-checks the dependencies and culls the ones it doesn't need.