[llvm-dev] [RFC][SVE] Supporting Scalable Vector Architectures in LLVM IR (take 2)

Amara Emerson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 15:53:05 PDT 2017

On 6 July 2017 at 23:13, Chris Lattner <clattner at nondot.org> wrote:
>> Yes, as an extension to VectorType they can be manipulated and passed
>> around like normal vectors, load/stored directly, phis, put in llvm
>> structs etc. Address computation generates expressions in terms vscale
>> and it seems to work well.
>
> Right, that works out through composition, but what does it mean?  I can't have a global variable of a scalable vector type, nor does it make sense for a scalable vector to be embeddable in an LLVM IR struct: nothing that measures the size of a struct is prepared to deal with a non-constant answer.
Although the absolute size of the types aren't known at compile time,
there are upper bounds which the compiler can assume and use to allow
allocation of storage for global variables and the like. The issue
with composite type sizes again reduce to the issue of type sizes
being either symbolic expressions or simply unknown in some cases.

>>> This should probably be an intrinsic, not an llvm::Constant.  The design of llvm::Constant is already wrong: it shouldn’t have operations like divide, and it would be better to not contribute to the problem.
>> Could you explain your position more on this? The Constant
>> architecture has been a very natural fit for this concept from our
>> perspective.
>
> It is appealing, but it is wrong.  Constant should really only model primitive constants (ConstantInt/FP, etc) and we should have one more form for “relocatable” constants.  Instead, we have intertwined constant folding and ConstantExpr logic that doesn’t make sense.
>
> A better pattern to follow are intrinsics like (e.g.) llvm.coro.size.i32(), which always returns a constant value.
Ok, we'll investigate this issue further.

>>> Ok, that sounds complicated, but can surely be made to work.  The bigger problem is that there are various LLVM IR transformations that want to put registers into memory.  All of these will be broken with this sort of type.
>> Could you give an example?
>
> The concept of “reg2mem” is to put SSA values into allocas for passes that can’t (or don’t want to) update SSA.  Similarly, function body extraction can turn SSA values into parameters, and depending on the implementation can pack them into structs.  The coroutine logic similarly needs to store registers if they cross suspend points, there are multiple other examples.
I think this should still work. Allocas of scalable vectors are supported,
and it's only later at codegen that the unknown sizes result in more
work being needed to compute stack offsets correctly. The caveat being
that a direct call to something like getTypeStoreSize() will need to
be aware of expressions/sizeless-types. If however these passes are
exclusively using allocas to put registers into memory, or using
structs with extractvalue etc, then they shouldn't need to care and
codegen deals with the low level details.

Thanks,
Amara