[llvm-dev] The undef story

Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 14:22:34 PDT 2017

> On Jul 1, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
>
> On 06/30/2017 11:16 AM, Peter Lawrence wrote:

>>> Hopefully, the description I later provided helps. I can't share the "real" code, but I reconstructed this example from my memory of the original code plus some of the intermediate IR I'd looked at.
>>>

>> Hal,
>>       I’d like to see if I understand you, here’s what I think, let me know if this is correct
>>
>> 1. Sometimes there are abstraction penalties in C++ code
>> 2. That can be optimized away after template instantiation, function inlining, etc
>> 3. When they for example exhibit this pattern
>> 	if (A) {
>> 		stuff;
>> 	} else {
>> 		other stuff including “undefined behavior”;
>> 	}
>> 4. Where the compiler assumes “undefined behavior” doesn’t actually happen because
>>     In the C language standard it is the users responsibility to avoid it
>> 5. Therefore in this example the compiler can a) delete the else-clause
>>      b) delete the if-cond, c) assume A is true and propagate that information
>
> That's correct. […]
>
>  -Hal

Great, so it seems like this definition enables us to lift ourselves
out of our current dilemma of only being able to discuss this rhetorically
to now being able to discuss this objectively.

It is also incredibly practical, for example now I can write my own program that
shows why it could be beneficial to define branch-on-undef to be “undefined
behavior” rather than a binary choice.

And finally, with this objective definition we can decide which issues that
are nagging us can be decided on technical grounds and which ones cannot.

An example of one that is not decidable on technical grounds is the question
of whether these optimizations are legal [*], rather this is a philosophical question.

* finding the right wording here is a struggle, perhaps “justified”,
  “ethical”, “desirable”, or some other word, works better. The sense of
  the issue even if imperfectly worded is this, that the alternative which
  is to replace undefined behavior with a run-time trap has equally compelling
  arguments in its favor.

Perhaps this philosophical question can’t even be decided within the llvm
community, rather the discussion might have play out in places like standards
committees and in publications like Communications of the ACM.

Thoughts ?
Comments ?
Questions ?

Peter Lawrence.