[llvm-dev] GEP with a null pointer base

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 6 12:17:46 PDT 2017

> glibc does accept patches...or are you talking about two separate instances of this problem, both in glibc and something else?

I originally saw this in a benchmark (which it may be possible to get changed) and only afterward found the glibc idiom.

The most recent glibc code is a bit more complicated than I represented below.  If you look up obstack.h you can see what’s there now.  Basically, they’re computing a pointer alignment that may be based on some non-null base pointer or may be based on null, depending on the target architecture.  I’m sure it’s possible to make it more sensible, but I’ve never interacted with the glibc community so I’m not sure how open they would be to changing this.  I suspect I’d need a more compelling argument than clang-compatibility (or maybe even standards compatibility).