[llvm-dev] Performance metrics with LLVM

Tobias Grosser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 4 02:02:55 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017, at 09:48 AM, Kristof Beyls wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> The metrics that you can collect in LNT are fixed per "test suite".
> There are 2 such "test suite"s defined in LNT at the moment: nts and
> compile.
> For more details on this, see
> http://llvm.org/docs/lnt/concepts.html#test-suites.
>
> AFAIK, If you need to collect different metrics, you'll need to define a
> new "test suite". I'm afraid I don't really know what is needed for that.
> I'm guessing you may need to write some LNT code to do so, but I'm not
> sure. Hopefully Matthias or Chris will be able to explain how to do that.
>
> We probably should investigate how to make it easier to define new
> "test-suite"s more easily. Or at least make it easier to record different
> sets of metrics more easily, without having to change the LNT code or a
> running LNT server instance.
> The question on recording a different set of metrics has come up on this
> list before, so it seems like it's an issue people do run into from time
> to time.

Hi Kristof,

thanks for your fast reply. This is a very helpful summary that confirms
my current understanding in parts. I never run the "compile" test suite,
so I am not sure how much of the statistics interface is used by it (if
at all). I somehow had the feeling something else might exist, as the
cmake test-suite
runner dumps some of the statistics to stdout. Would be interested to
read if Chris or Matthias have more insights.

Best,
Tobias