[llvm-dev] musttail & alwaysinline interaction

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 1 14:07:33 PDT 2017

The IR you provide is actually incorrect.  The "tobeinlined" function is
external, so there's no way even in theory to assert that it's always
inlined.

We could consider relaxing the verifier to allow this case, but doing
that seems problematic.  In particular, why stop at one level of
inlining?  We really don't want the verify to have to be walking back
through the entire call graph to verify the required property.

We could also relax the definition of mustail.  To do this, we'd need to
carefully consider whether there's a tweak to our definition of musttail
which is sufficient without loosing to much error diagnostics or
optimization power.  Any suggestions on specific revisions here?

The current restriction on mustail -- specifically matching signatures
-- is stronger than it needs to be in.  You could consider enhancing the
backends to lower tailcalls with signature mismatches and then extend
the verify to allow those cases.  That would be a way around your
problem indirectly.

Philip