[llvm-dev] Folding zext from i1 into PHI nodes with only zwo incoming values.

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 30 12:13:05 PST 2017

The foldPhiOpArgIntoPhi looks like a few special cases of the general
transform (that is applicable as a rewrite rule):

phi(F(1,2,...), F(A,B,...),...) == F(phi(1,A,...), phi(1,B,...), ...)

This follows directly from phis being conditional selects.

in code:

a = b + c
b = d + e
result = phi(a, b)

is equivalent to

tmp1 = phi(b, d)
tmp2 = phi(c, e)
result = tmp1 + tmp2

this is true for any number of operators and operations.

The downside is fixpointing this rule (and even probably the one being used
in foldPhiOpArgIntoPhi) is that it may require exponential applications of
the rule.