[llvm-dev] Linking Linux kernel with LLD

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 26 19:56:57 PST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> Well, maybe, we should just change the Linux kernel instead of tweaking
> our tokenizer too hard.

This is silly. Writing a simple and maintainable lexer is not hard (look
e.g. at https://reviews.llvm.org/D10817). There are some complicated
context-sensitive cases in linker scripts that break our approach of
tokenizing up front (so we might want to hold off on), but we aren't going
to die from implementing enough to lex basic arithmetic expressions
independent of whitespace.

We will be laughed at. ("You seriously couldn't even be bothered to
implement a real lexer?")

-- Sean Silva