[llvm-dev] Find instruction's offset

Jeremy Lakeman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 23 15:57:51 PST 2017

Debug metadata is generally the only way to link a byte of machine code
back to the original source location. So that tools which understand the
source language can help you see how your program runs. But even that is
inaccurate.

There is no other metadata linking assembly instructions back to any Value*
in the intermediate representation. The goal of every optimisation is to
make the whole program faster, not to keep track of how we got here.

There is often a huge difference between how you imagine something works,
and how it actually works.

If you want a better answer, try to explain what you want to do and why. We
aren't mind readers, and we can't piece together what you want from a
description of how you imagine something works.