[llvm-dev] getScalarizationOverhead()

Jonas Paulsson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 23 04:38:05 PST 2017

>> There should be no cost to reusing the operand. (mul a, a) should only extract a once, the fact that it is used twice should not increase the cost.
>>
>> -Hal
> There appears to be a similar issue within the x86 AVX1 cost tables for cases where we have to split the 256-bit integer operations. Some binops add 1*extract_subvector + 1*insert_subvector to the 2*128-binop costs whilst others don’t bother adding anything at all. We need to try harder to determine if we should add 1 (duplicate input or constant folded extract) or 2 extracts to the final cost.

What's more, this method seems to be duplicated in several places:
BasicTTIImpl.h has one definition, which is duplicated in
LoopVectorize.cpp (with just one line checking for void type added),
and the X86 has also duplicated it with an int return type instead of
unsigned. I tried to refactor this and also started to improve on the
functionality. Please take a look at: https://reviews.llvm.org/D29017

/ Jonas