[llvm-dev] RFC: Need One True Way to check for -Oz/-Os (minsize, optsize) in passes...

James Molloy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 20 01:15:46 PST 2017

Hey Chandler,

Thanks for bringing this up. As I see it:

The advantage of (1) is that it allows easier exploration of IR - I can run the optimizer in -O2, optsize and minsize mode all without going back to clang.

The advantage of (2) is that it works with LTO… and I think that must trump all other concerns, as you said. In fact, the advantage of (1) I just stated could be gained by simply “opt -force-attribute=*:minsize” (do we have a wildcard match for -force-attribute? if we don’t, we should). So while unwieldy, it does work (and ideally should be documented!)

So I agree, (2) sounds best.

Cheers,

James