[llvm-dev] [RFC] IR-level Region Annotations

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 19 20:28:57 PST 2017

On 01/19/2017 03:36 PM, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev wrote:

> [...]
>>>         >
>>>         > Hi Johannes,
>>>         >
>>>         >> I am especially curious where you get your data from.
>>>         Tapir [0] (and to
>>>         >> some degree PIR [1]) have shown that, counterintuitively,
>>>         only a few changes
>>>         >> to LLVM passes are needed. Tapir was recently used in an
>>>         MIT class with a
>>>         >> lot of students and it seemed to work well with only
>>>         minimal changes
>>>         >> to analysis and especially transformation passes.
>>>         >
>>>         > TAPIR is an elegant, small extension and, in particular, I
>>>         think the idea of asymmetric parallel tasks and control flow
>>>         is a clever way to express parallelism with serial
>>>         semantics, as in Cilk.  Encoding the control flow extensions
>>>         as explicit instructions is orthogonal to that, though
>>>         arguably more elegant than using region tags + metadata.
>>>         >
>>>         > However, Cilk is a tiny language compared with the full
>>>         complexity of other languages, like OpenMP.  To take just
>>>         one example, TAPIR cannot express the ORDERED construct of
>>>         OpenMP.  A more serious concern, IMO, is that TAPIR (like
>>>         Cilk) requires serial semantics, whereas there are many
>>>         parallel languages, OpenMP included, that do not obey that
>>>         restriction. Third, OpenMP has *numerous* clauses, e.g.,
>>>         REDUCTION or PRIVATE,  that are needed because without that,
>>>         you’d be dependent on fundamentally hard compiler analyses
>>>         to extract the same information for satisfactory parallel
>>>         performance; realistic applications cannot depend on the
>>>         success of such analyses.
>>>
>>>         I agree with this, but I’m also wondering if it needs to be
>>>         first class in the IR?
>>>         For example we know our alias analysis is very basic, and
>>>         C/C++ have a higher constraint thanks to their type system,
>>>         but we didn’t inject this higher level information that
>>>         helps the optimizer as first class IR constructs.
>>>

>>>     FWIW, while i agree with the general point, i wouldn't use this
>>>     example.
>>>     Because we pretty much still suffer to this day because of it
>>>     (both in AA, and devirt, and ...)  :)
>>>     We can't always even tell fields apart
>>
>>     Is it inherent to the infrastructure, i.e. using metadata instead
>>     of first class IR construct or is it just a “quality of
>>     implementation” issue?
>>

>> Not to derail this conversation:
>>
>> IMHO, At some point there is no real difference :)
>>
>> Because otherwise, everything is a QOI issue.
>>
>> IE if it's super tricky to get metadata that works well and works
>> right, doesn't get lost, etc, and that's inherent to using metadata,
>> that to me is not a QOI issue.
>>
>> So could it be done with metadata? Probably?
>> But at the same time,  if it had been done with more first class
>> constructs, it would have happened years ago  and been much lower cost.
>
> This is what I meant by “inherent to the infrastructure”, thanks for

To clarify, we were proposing metadata that is used as arguments to the
region-annotation intrinsics. This metadata has the nice property that
it does not get dropped (so it is just being used as a way of encoding
whatever data structures are necessary without predefining a syntactic
schema).

  -Hal

>> Mehdi

Hal Finkel