[llvm-dev] llvm is getting slower, January edition

Davide Italiano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 18 14:55:17 PST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Mikhail Zolotukhin
<mzolotukhin at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuing recent efforts in understanding compile time slowdowns, I looked at some historical data: I picked one test and tried to pin-point commits that affected its compile-time. The data I have is not 100% accurate, but hopefully it helps to provide an overview of what's going on with compile time in LLVM and give a better understanding of what changes usually impact compile time.
>
> Configuration:
> The test I used is tramp3d-v4 from LLVM testsuite. It consists of a single source file, but still takes a noticeable time to compile, which makes it very convenient for this kind of experiments. The file was compiled with Os for arm64 on x86 host.
>
> Results:
> The attached PDF has a compile time graph, on which I marked points where compile time changed with a list of corresponding commits. A textual version of the list is available below, but I think it might be much harder to comprehend the data without the graph. A number in the end shows compile time change after the given commit:
>
> 1. r239821: [InstSimplify] Allow folding of fdiv X, X with just NaNs ignored. +1%
> 2. r241886: [InstCombine] Employ AliasAnalysis in FindAvailableLoadedValue. +1%
> 3. r245118: [SCEV] Apply NSW and NUW flags via poison value analysis for sub, mul and shl. +2%
> 4. r246694: [RemoveDuplicatePHINodes] Start over after removing a PHI. -1%
> 5. r247269: [ADT] Rewrite the StringRef::find implementation to be simpler... +1%
>    r247240: [LPM] Use a map from analysis ID to immutable passes in the legacy pass manager... +3%
>    r247264: Enable GlobalsAA by default. +1%
> 6. r247674: [GlobalsAA] Disable globals-aa by default. -1%
> 7. r248638: [SCEV] Reapply 'Teach isLoopBackedgeGuardedByCond to exploit trip counts'. +2%
> 8. r249802: [SCEV] Call `StrengthenNoWrapFlags` after `GroupByComplexity`; NFCI. +4%
> 9. r250157: [GlobalsAA] Turn GlobalsAA on again by default. +1%
> 10. r251049: [SCEV] Mark AddExprs as nsw or nuw if legal. +23%
> 11. No data
> 12. r259252: AttributeSetImpl: Summarize existing function attributes in a bitset. -1%
>     r259256: Add LoopSimplifyCFG pass. -2%
> 13. r262250: Enable LoopLoadElimination by default. +3%
> 14. r262839: Revert "Enable LoopLoadElimination by default". -3%
> 15. r263393: Remove PreserveNames template parameter from IRBuilder. -3%
> 16. r263595: Turn LoopLoadElimination on again. +3%
> 17. r267672: [LoopDist] Add llvm.loop.distribute.enable loop metadata. +4%
> 18. r268509: Do not disable completely loop unroll when optimizing for size. -34%
> 19. r269124: Loop unroller: set thresholds for optsize and minsize functions to zero. +50%
> 20. r269392: [LoopDist] Only run LAA for loops with the pragma. -4%
> 21. r270630: Re-enable "[LoopUnroll] Enable advanced unrolling analysis by default" one more time. -28%
> 22. r270881: Don't allocate in APInt::slt.  NFC. -2%
> [...]

This is great, thanks for the January update :)
Do you mind to share how you collected the numbers (script etc.. and
how you plotted the graph so I can try repeating at home with my
testcases?)

Thanks,

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare