[llvm-dev] Redefining optnone to help LTO

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 17 21:15:50 PST 2017

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 5:30 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:
>
> My impression is that we *do* run some minimal cleanup passes at O0.  Is that correct?

We only run the always_inliner (and forceattrs?), since it is needed for correctness AFAICT:

$ echo "int main() {}" | clang -x c - -O0  -mllvm -debug-pass=Arguments  -emit-llvm -c
Pass Arguments:  -tti -targetlibinfo -add-discriminators
Pass Arguments:  -tti -assumption-cache-tracker -profile-summary-info -targetlibinfo -forceattrs -basiccg -always-inline -barrier -write-bitcode

> If so, the biggest difference between what I believe the current optnone semantics to be and what you're proposing would be the behavior of those passes.  Currently, optnone would direct those passes not to touch the function and skip execution.  Under your proposal, those passes would run normally.
>
> I will freely admit that I'm not familiar with the O0 implementation, so it's possibly my assumptions are wrong.

I can miss some subtleties as well, so I’m happy to get other inputs on this!

My intention is not to cause any disruption, I don’t of any non-required (from a semantic point-of-view) pass that we would want to intentionally run on optnone functions. Since you’re using the attribute on individual function you may have examples I haven’t thought of.

—
Mehdi