[llvm-dev] Git Transition status?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 17 15:41:18 PST 2017

I'd think that the survey respondent population would tend to be heavily weighted towards people who care (enough to spend time filling out the survey) as opposed to the likely smaller population of people willing to speak up in a contentious email thread.  We surely did not get anywhere near so many voices in the thread as in the survey.
So, in terms of gauging community sentiment, I'd lean more on the survey and less on the discussions.  The discussions are useful for raising technical feasibility questions and workflow descriptions, but will tend to be misleading about community-wide thinking.

(In most email discussions, not so many people are that interested, and people who aren't interested commonly aren't affected either, like in the optnone discussion.  This topic really will affect basically everyone, which is why I think favoring the survey results over online debates is the right way to go.)
--paulr