[llvm-dev] Improving the split heuristics for the Greedy Register Allocator

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 16 15:10:29 PST 2017

Sorry Philip,
I am really hoping you can provide a bit more guidance here and I apologize
for taking up so much of your time.

I've spent considerable time reading and re-reading your email as well as
looking at the code and I can't really understand how I should go about
doing this if I wanted to implement it using this mechanism.
Here's what I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong (I suspect I am
spectacularly wrong here):
- The target is queried for whether a specific function supports this
mechanism
- If so, the initialization function is called
- Finally, the insertCopiesSplitCSR() function is called to insert copies *out
of* CSR's in the entry blocks and *into* CSR's in all the exit blocks,
leaving the CSR's available for reuse by the register allocator.

This way all the CSR's have their values preserved (in vregs) throughout
the lifetime of the function. The register allocator then figures out how
to preserve them. I suppose the choices are:
- Spill them in entry and reload in exits
- Elide the copy as the CSR won't be allocated in the function
- Defer the spill to immediately before the register is needed

Also, is the idea with this mechanism to eliminate CSR save/restore in the
function prologue/epilogue altogether?

Finally, I know very little about DWARF and debug data overall. It isn't
clear to me why this is difficult to get to work correctly with DWARF.

Thank you once again for your time.
Nemanja