[llvm-dev] [RFC] IR-level Region Annotations

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 12 23:06:34 PST 2017

> [...]
> dependencies), but there is no natural or consistent way to extend this scheme
> to represent necessary data-movement or region information.
>

> New Intrinsics for Region and Value Annotations
> The following new (experimental) intrinsics are proposed which allow:
>
> a) Annotating a code region marked with directives / pragmas,
> b) Annotating values associated with the region (or loops), that is, those
>   values associated with directives / pragmas.
> c) Providing information on LLVM IR transformations needed for the annotated
>   code regions (or loops).
>
> These can be used both by frontends and also by transformation passes (e.g.
> automated parallelization). The names used here are similar to those used by
> our internal prototype, but obviously we expect a community bikeshed
> discussion.
>
> def int_experimental_directive : Intrinsic<[], [llvm_metadata_ty],
>                                   [IntrArgMemOnly],
> "llvm.experimental.directive">;
>
> def int_experimental_dir_qual : Intrinsic<[], [llvm_metadata_ty],
> [IntrArgMemOnly],
> "llvm.experimental.dir.qual">;
>
> def int_experimental_dir_qual_opnd : Intrinsic<[],
> [llvm_metadata_ty, llvm_any_ty],
> [IntrArgMemOnly],
> "llvm.experimental.dir.qual.opnd">;
>
> def int_experimental_dir_qual_opndlist : Intrinsic<
>                                        [],
> [llvm_metadata_ty, llvm_vararg_ty],
> [IntrArgMemOnly],
> "llvm.experimental.dir.qual.opndlist">;
>
> Note that calls to these intrinsics might need to be annotated with the
> convergent attribute when they represent fork/join operations, barriers, and
> similar.
>
> Usage Examples
> ==============
>
> This section shows a few examples using these experimental intrinsics.
> LLVM developers who will use these intrinsics can defined their own MDstring.
> All details of using these intrinsics on representing OpenMP 4.5 constructs are described in [1][3].
>

> Example I: An OpenMP combined construct
>
> #pragma omp target teams distribute parallel for simd
>  loop
>
> LLVM IR
> -------
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !0)
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !1)
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !2)
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !3)
>  loop
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !6)
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !5)
> call void @llvm.experimental.directive(metadata !4)
>
> !0 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.TARGET}
> !1 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.TEAMS}
> !2 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.DISTRIBUTE.PARLOOP.SIMD}
>
> !6 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.END.DISTRIBUTE.PARLOOP.SIMD}
> !5 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.END.TEAMS}
> !4 = metadata !{metadata !DIR.OMP.END.TARGET}

Something isn’t clear to me about how do you preserve the validity of the region annotations since regular passes don’t know about the attached semantic?

For example, if a region is marking a loop as parallel from an OpenMP pragma, but a strength reduction transformation introduces a loop-carried dependency and thus invalidate the “parallel” semantic?

Another issue is how much are these intrinsics acting as “barrier” for regular optimizations? For example what prevents reordering a loop such that it is executed *before* the intrinsic that mark the beginning of the region?

I feel I missed a piece (but maybe I should start with the provided references?)  :)

—
Mehdi