[llvm-dev] [RFC] IR-level Region Annotations

Hongbin Zheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 11 16:09:36 PST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +1, tokens are the current True Way to create single-entry multi-exit
> regions. Your example for an annotated loop would look like:
>
> %region = call token @llvm.openmp.regionstart(metadata ...) ; whatever
> parameters you need here
>   loop
> call void @llvm.openmp.regionend(token %region)
>
> If you use tokens, I would recommend proposal (c), where you introduce new
> intrinsics for every new kind of region, instead of adding one overly
> generic set of region intrinsics.

Maybe we can come up with several categories of regions, and create new
intrinsic for each category, instead of creating new intrinsic for every
*kind*.

Thanks
Hongbin

> [...]
>>
>>> A Proposal for adding an experimental IR-level region-annotation
>>> infrastructure
>>> =============================================================================
>>>
>>> Hal Finkel (ANL) and Xinmin Tian (Intel)
>>>
>>> This is a proposal for adding an experimental infrastructure to support
>>> annotating regions in LLVM IR, making use of intrinsics and metadata, and
>>> a generic analysis to allow transformations to easily make use of these
>>> annotated regions. This infrastructure is flexible enough to support
>>> representation of directives for parallelization, vectorization, and
>>> offloading of both loops and more-general code regions. Under this
>>> scheme,
>>> the conceptual distance between source-level directives and the region
>>> annotations need not be significant, making the incremental cost of
>>> supporting new directives and modifiers often small. It is not, however,
>>> specific to those use cases.
>>>
>>> Problem Statement
>>> =================
>>> There are a series of discussions on LLVM IR extensions for representing
>>> region
>>> and loop annotations for parallelism, and other user-guided
>>> transformations,
>>> among both industrial and academic members of the LLVM community.
>>> Increasing
>>> the quality of our OpenMP implementation is an important motivating use
>>> case,
>>> but certainly not the only one. For OpenMP in particular, we've discussed
>>> having an IR representation for years. Presently, all OpenMP pragmas are
>>> transformed directly into runtime-library calls in Clang, and outlining
>>> (i.e.
>>> extracting parallel regions into their own functions to be invoked by the
>>> runtime library) is done in Clang as well. Our implementation does not
>>> further
>>> optimize OpenMP constructs, and a lot of thought has been put into how
>>> we might
>>> improve this. For some optimizations, such as redundant barrier removal,
>>> we
>>> could use a TargetLibraryInfo-like mechanism to recognize
>>> frontend-generated
>>> runtime calls and proceed from there. Dealing with cases where we lose
>>> pointer-aliasing information, information on loop bounds, etc. we could
>>> improve
>>> by improving our inter-procedural-analysis capabilities. We should do
>>> that
>>> regardless. However, there are important cases where the underlying
>>> scheme we
>>> want to use to lower the various parallelism constructs, especially when
>>> targeting accelerators, changes depending on what is in the parallel
>>> region.
>>> In important cases where we can see everything (i.e. there aren't
>>> arbitrary
>>> external calls), code generation should proceed in a way that is very
>>> from the general case. To have a sensible implementation, this must be
>>> done
>>> after inlining. When using LTO, this should be done during the link-time
>>> phase.
>>> As a result, we must move away from our purely-front-end based lowering
>>> scheme.
>>> The question is what to do instead, and how to do it in a way that is
>>> generally
>>> useful to the entire community.
>>>
>>> Designs previously discussed can be classified into four categories:
>>>
>>> (a) Add a large number of new kinds of LLVM metadata, and use them to
>>> annotate
>>>     each necessary instruction for parallelism, data attributes, etc.
>>> (b) Add several new LLVM instructions such as, for parallelism, fork,
>>> spawn,
>>>     join, barrier, etc.
>>> (c) Add a large number of LLVM intrinsics for directives and clauses,
>>> each
>>>     intrinsic representing a directive or a clause.
>>> (d) Add a small number of LLVM intrinsics for region or loop annotations,
>>>     represent the directive/clause names using metadata and the remaining
>>>     information using arguments.
>>>
>>> Here we're proposing (d), and below is a brief pros and cons analysis
>>> based on
>>> these discussions and our own experiences of supporting region/loop
>>> annotations
>>> in LLVM-based compilers. The table below shows a short summary of our
>>> analysis.
>>>
>>> Various commercial compilers (e.g. from Intel, IBM, Cray, PGI), and GCC
>>> [1,2],
>>> have IR-level representations for parallelism constructs. Based on
>>> experience
>>> from these previous developments, we'd like a solution for LLVM that