[llvm-dev] RFC: Allow readnone and readonly functions to throw exceptions

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 5 11:10:02 PST 2017

On 01/05/2017 12:45 PM, Mehdi Amini wrote:

> [...]
>>>                 } catch (...) {
>>>                     assert(*a == 10);
>>>                 }
>>>
>>>                 I can't DSE the `*a = 10` store.
>>>
>>>                 As far as I can tell, the most restrictive memory
>>>                 attribute for a
>>>                 potentially throwing function is readonly.
>>>                 "readnone may-unwind" does
>>>                 not make sense.
>>>

>>>             Why not? I've not followed this thread in detail, but it
>>>             seems like you're
>>>             discussing allowing the modeling of EH schemes that
>>>             don't access accessible
>>>             memory. In that case, a may-unwind readnone function is
>>>             just one that makes
>>>             its decision about if/what to throw based only on its
>>>             arguments.
>>>
>>>         If the call to @readnone_mayunwind_fn throws and I've DSE'ed
>>>         the "*a =
>>>         10" store, the exception handler will fail the *a == 10
>>>         assert (assume
>>>         *a is not 10 to begin with).  The function call itself is
>>>         readnone,
>>>         but its exceptional continuation may read any part of the heap.
>>>
>>>         This isn't a big deal, but it means that "readnone
>>>         may-unwind" will
>>>         effectively have to be treated as "readonly may-unwind" -- I
>>>         don't see
>>>         any optimization that would be applicable to one and not the
>>>         other.
>>>         Maybe we should just move ahead with that (that readnone
>>>         may-unwind is
>>>         allowed, but if you want readnone-like optimizations then
>>>         you need to
>>>         also mark it as nounwind)?
>>>

>>>     Yes, I think that makes sense. The attribute only applies to the
>>>     function anyway, so what exception handlers might do (which is
>>>     assumed to be reading/writing any memory that might be available
>>>     to them) must be reasoned about separately.
>>>

>>> I don't think we need or want to do that. The way I see it, readonly
>>> implies that the exception handler cannot write memory readable by
>>> LLVM. Similarly, readnone should imply that the exception handler
>>> does not read memory written by LLVM. Basically, any function that
>>> may unwind but also has these attributes asserts that the exception
>>> handler is operating outside of memory modeled by LLVM.
>>
>> I don't understand why that's desirable, and I think it would
>> severely limit our ability to infer these attributes for functions
>> that unwind. You'd need to prove things -- likely unknowable things
>> -- about the exception handlers in place around every call site of a
>> function in order to mark it readonly, readnone, etc. We'd have the
>> same problem with the attribute parameters. I'm fairly certain we do
>> need and want to separate these concerns. This way we can apply
>> callsite specific reasoning to the potential effects of exception
>> handlers separate from what the function itself might do.
>
> What useful things would you be able to deduce from an “unwind
> readnone” function under these conditions?

It is still only a function of its arguments, so it can be CSE'd.

Also, if I have this:

  *a = 10;
  b = a_readnone_unwind_func();
  *a = 10;

I can still conclude that this last store is redundant and can be
removed. I know that the readnone function does not touch it, and if it
unwinds, than the later store is dead. If I know that &*a has not
escaped to where an exception handler might access it, then I know that
the first store than be removed.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel