[llvm-dev] tooling libraries missing in Windows download

Jakob Bornecrantz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 22 10:37:43 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM, John Cortell via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I was looking to write a cross platform utility that worked with ELF/DWARF
> files. I need the utility to run on OS X, Linux and Windows. I figured I
> could use clang/llvm to build this tool.
>
> I've made good progress on OS X. Before I got too far, though. I decided to
> verify that I can build the code on Windows. I downloaded the 3.8.0 Windows
> installer from the llvm downwloads page, ran the installer, but was
> disappointed to see libraries like LLVMObject, LLVMBitReader, etc missing.
>
> Do I need to build LLVM from scratch on Windows to get these libraries?

As far as I know they are not shipped with the LLVM installer for windows,
there where some talk of including a LLVM.[lib|dll] but it doesn't seem to
have gone very far.

We are using this script to generate a LLVM.dll for our use case.
https://github.com/VoltLang/GenLLVMDLLPy/blob/master/GenLLVMDLL.py

It should be possible to use that in the official build.

Cheers, Jakob.