[llvm-dev] Linking Linux kernel with LLD

George Rimar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 17 08:52:10 PST 2017

>>>That boot_params.hdr.code32_start field is probably either invalid (bad reloc or something else causing the bootloader to >>>calculate the wrong address) or valid but the thing it thinks it is pointing to wasn't loaded (missing PT_LOAD etc.).

>>boot_params.hdr.code32_start field is valid :) It is 0x100000, like expected
>>
>>Then I suspect that that segment isn't being loaded. Is there a PT_LOAD that covers that address? Is the bootloader loading it?
>
>That issue is gone. Not sure what changed, but looks something was fixed in LLD during last week.

Looks what really happend is that previously I expected it should have jump to a different startup_64, since there are 2 of them :(

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/212f30008a284a9312d95dad6cc237ff81173d73/arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.S#L235
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/5924bbecd0267d87c24110cbe2041b5075173a25/arch/x86/kernel/head_64.S#L50

So looks real place of issue was that one I located today.

George.