[llvm-dev] multiprecision add/sub

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 15 19:44:35 PST 2017

I feel like there are two things being conflated here:

1) Does LLVM need new *LLVM* intrinsics to model this. The
add-with-overflow intrinsics seem likely fine for as-is, don't require
memory, but we don't lower the code to use adc for some reason. That seems
like an LLVM bug that should be fixed in the x86 backend. If optimizing the
LLVM intrinsics is hard, then maybe we need better ones, but that's likely
about the (somewhat ridiculous) dance we have to do to "sum" the overflow
flags rather than anything to do with memory.

2) Does Clang need new *C* builtins to avoid needing the carry-in /
carry-out being in memory? I don't have a strong opinion about this. But
the example in the original email gets optimized to have no unnecessary
memory accesses already: https://godbolt.org/g/GFij97

#1 seems like the most interesting problem to solve. File a bug?