[llvm-dev] Stripping Debug Locations on cross BB moves, part 2 (PR31891)

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 10 08:58:10 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 5:16 PM Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 9, 2017, at 4:09 PM, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to be late to the party, I was out yesterday.
> >
> > I do want to point out that there are different motivations for the two
> cases.  When moving/hoisting a single instruction, the motivation is to
> avoid bad debugger stepping and bad sample-profile data (we get a lot of
> complaints about bad debugger stepping, btw) for which we pay the price of
> not having totally precise instruction-to-source mapping.  I think this is
> the right tradeoff, fwiw.  But, when *combining* or merging instructions
> (with different source locations), the problem is that we *can't* provide a
> correct source location, because there is not a single correct source
> location and we can't do a one-to-many mapping.  As it happens, we're using
> the same mechanism to solve these two different problems, i.e. erase the
> debug location from the moved/combined instruction, but the motivations are
> still different.
> >
> > Why the fuss about motivation?  Because it means the moved-call and
> merged-call cases are different, and might want different solutions.  It
> would be fine to add an "I've been moved" flag to the debug location of a
> moved instruction, with whatever necessary effects that flag might need to
> have; but it would *not* be fine to use this flag for merged/combined
> instructions, because in those cases we do not have a correct "original"
> source location to preserve.  In the latter case, we still need to use
> line-0 for calls, because there's no other correct thing to do.
> >
> > Probably getMergedLocation should optionally return line-0 instead of
> null; whether it's an optional don’t-return-null parameter or a separate
> getMergedLocationForCall API is an implementation detail.
>
> We need something to this end to support getMergedLocationForCall for
> CallInstructions. I'm not yet sure what the best API design for this. It
> feels dangerous to let the caller decide whether a nullptr is acceptable.

Yeah, I'd just have getMergedLocation check if it's merging a call if
that's the way we want to go. (assuming that's sufficient - I guess it
probably is - a call couldn't move implicitly due to its user moving or
anything, it can't be a ConstantExpr I wouldn't think)

> >  The code-motion cases won't be using getMergedLocation anyway, so if we
> want to make a new API to set a "been-moved" flag, that seems pretty
> orthogonal to the merged-call problem.  Or, of course, we can always skip
> the flag idea, using line-0 for moved calls and null for moved
> anything-else.
>
> David, do you want to make an argument for why the "been-moved" flag is
> superior over using line-0?

Would allow us to keep the/a source location for other things like asan,
but we aren't already - so I'm fine with line 0 (& presumably no/zero
discriminator).