[llvm-dev] Linking Linux kernel with LLD

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 9 16:11:27 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:27 AM, George Rimar <grimar at accesssoftek.com>
wrote:

> >That address seems to come from >here: https://github.com/
> torvalds/linux/blob/5924bbecd0267d87c24110cbe2041b
> 5075173a25/arch/x86/boot/pm.c#L124
> >
> >```
> >protected_mode_jump(boot_params.hdr.code32_start,
> >   (u32)&boot_params + (ds() << 4));
> >```
> >
> >That boot_params.hdr.code32_start field is probably either invalid (bad
> reloc or something else causing the bootloader to >calculate the wrong
> address) or valid but the thing it thinks it is pointing to wasn't loaded
> (missing PT_LOAD etc.).
>
> boot_params.hdr.code32_start field is valid :) It is 0x100000, like
> expected

Then I suspect that that segment isn't being loaded. Is there a PT_LOAD
that covers that address? Is the bootloader loading it?

> (btw thanks for those links on info how kernel boots, they were pretty
> useful).

I'm glad you found it useful! Those articles are amazing.

> I checked it is valid using trace:
>
> void go_to_protected_mode(void)
> {
> if (boot_params.hdr.code32_start == 0x100000)
>   puts("go_to_protected_mode 1\n");
> else
>   puts("go_to_protected_mode 2\n");
> while (1) {};
>
> I had to use infinite loop here, because QEMU does not crash for me, but
> do domething what looks like reboot and clears all my traces output.
> Infinite loop helps to see traces text, if placed before dead point.
>

> >Btw, how did you narrow it down to that specific instruction? That's
> pretty handy.
>
> I used very simple approach, did not know how to do that properly :), so inserted
> infinite loops in asm code:
> foo:
>  jmp foo

I suspected something like this :) I've had to do that in the past. btw if
you are ever in a tight spot, a good thing to remember is EB FE (jmp -2)
which encodes an infinite loop on x86 (all modes, even 16bit I believe). It
is small so can easily be patched over most instruction using a hex editor
if necessary.

-- Sean Silva