[llvm-dev] help me understand how nounwind attribute on functions works?

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 9 09:40:46 PST 2017

It is my belief that all functions compiled with -fno-exceptions (which is
the default for C code, but notably not the ONLY option) *ought to* (for
QoI reasons, not a standards requirement) get the equivalent of noexcept
behavior. That is: guaranteed to abort if an exception is thrown through it.

This doesn't happen now on x86-64, due to the default async unwind tables
as you mention. That used to be the case on x86-32...although it seems that
async unwind tables are now on by default there too, in some cases.

Unfortunately, clang implements noexcept very inefficiently, and so doing
that in clang right now would have a huge amount of overhead.

Clang implements C++ noexcept by inserting explicit catch code, which then
calls terminate. GCC, on the other hand, just sets up the exception table
appropriately to make the unwinder itself do that. It would be really good
to fix that, but it's my understanding that it'd be somewhat difficult in
llvm's current exceptions model.