[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] lli: LLVM ERROR: Cannot select: X86ISD::WrapperRIP TargetGlobalTLSAddress:i64

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 8 11:40:23 PST 2017

[Adding llvm-dev back to list]

On 8 February 2017 at 11:12, Gaetano Checinski
<gaetano.checinski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing your insights,
> so in theory i could build an llvm pass that calls TargetLowering::LowerToTLSEmulatedModel for each llvm::Function and it should work if i link a runtime that provides __emultls_get_address.

I'm afraid not, that function is called as part of converting from a
Function to a MachineFunction. It operates on a completely different
representation to normal LLVM IR. The only way to trigger it is to set
the right field in the TargetOptions.

> >It's a missing feature/bug in the x86 backend. The specific problem is
> >that it seems we don't support thread-local variables with what Clang
> >& GCC would call "-mcmodel=large".
>
> Would it be a better approach to fix this issue ?

Yes, I think that'd be the proper fix for the issue. It's possible the
JIT parts don't support TLS at all yet either, which would mean we
have to implement it there.

> How difficult would it be ?

I don't think there are any fundamental difficulties; the ABI already
exists because GCC can cope. On the JIT side, it'll be a case of
supporting some relocations (pretty simple) and getting the output
object's thread-local sections registered with the system somehow
(more difficult, I'm not sure what each platform's callbacks are).

It's probably measured in days even for someone who knows many of the
details already though.

Cheers.

Tim.