[llvm-dev] [RFC] Queries for LLVM version

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 8 06:56:57 PST 2017

> On Feb 8, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Nemanja Ivanovic <nemanja.i.ibm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So Mehdi,
> you're not in favour of providing this functionality then?

I’m not against the functionality, but I’m not sure the API is the right one for the use-case.

> Or just not in favour of that use case?

The use-case (object cache) makes perfect sense, but I wouldn’t use this API.
I’d like use a `const char *getLLVMVersion()` API that would be documented as returning an opaque string representing the LLVM version.
The reason to return an opaque string is to prevent (not encourage…) users to parse it. It could return something like “LLVM 4.0.0svn(r12345)”.
Using this as part of your cache key makes it more robust to switching a given version of the compiler.

But ultimately, if I had to build such a caching system*, I’d likely do it upstream in LLVM and design the API to such that it would “just work” for my shader driver and could be maintained/improved by the community and reused by other users.

* https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/master/lib/LTO/Caching.cpp https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/master/include/llvm/Support/CachePruning.h

—
Mehdi