[llvm-dev] Clang option to provide list of target-subarchs.

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 7 15:23:39 PST 2017

> The large number of subarchs expected makes an inclusive only flag desirable and an exclusive flag impractical.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear about what I meant.

I did not mean that --no-target-subarchs=X would enable all known
subarchs other than X.  That would, as you say, cause problems due to
the large number of subarchs we support.  Instead, I meant that
--target-subarchs=X,Y --no-target-subarchs=Y,Z would build only
subarch X.

This is similar to many other flags in clang.  See for example -Wfoo
and -Wno-foo.  These can override each other; the last one wins.

This is important so that scripts can refine the compile flags
provided by other scripts.  We currently do this inside of Google with
--cuda-gpu-arch -- it is not a contrived use-case.

For basically the same reasons that we allow -Wfoo and -Wno-foo to
appear in the same command line invocation, I think we should allow
--offload-archs=X and --no-offload-archs=X to appear in the same
invocation.