[llvm-dev] Your help needed: List of LLVM Open Projects 2017 (Modula-3)

Rodney M. Bates via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 5 19:13:08 PST 2017

A couple of Modula-3 developers have worked on splicing LLVM on as an alternative
back end to the Modula-3 compiler, out-of-tree (the LLVM tree), of course.  A major
portion of the necessary glue code is there, and at one time, I was able to get the
M3 compiler and the libraries it needs to rebuild themselves twice, using the LLVM
back end, although that seems to have regressed.

This work has been stalled since sometime last spring, with the discovery that the
debug info passed through LLVM is in fact, equivalent to only a small subset of
Dwarf.  The decisive discovery was that the debug info for a subrange type does not
allow a base type to be noted, even though Dwarf does.  Modula-3 allows subranges
of any of a few builtin types and an extremely large potential set of programmer-defined
enumeration types, so this is pretty much unusable for subranges.

Speaking for myself, one of the primary motives for wanting an LLVM back end
is better debug information.  The current debug info is a horribly cobbled-up
extension of stabs, with the majority of the useful information encoded inside
the string fields of stabs, in ways the various stabs definitions know nothing
about, leaving stabs largely just a container.

There has been a discussion on this list about separating LLVM debug info for types
and bypassing this around most of the optimization and code generation.  This would
help a lot, but it has not been clear to me how this has played out.

This work is still at LLVM 3.6.1.  Even without the type bypassing, I know DIBuilder
has changed a lot.  Twice, I have gone through the process of creating bindings to
DIBuilder and a few other needed things.  It is extremely tedious and error-prone,
because there is no cross-language type checking whatsoever,  so I hope to do it
again as seldom as possible, hopefully at most once more.

Modula-3 has object-oriented types with dispatching methods and single inheritance,
but the bindings we have created so far have C bindings in between, and I haven't
come up with a nice way to handle the dynamic types of the pointers.  Eventually,
it would be nice to have some kind of ABI compatibility and avoid C altogether,
but I doubt this is feasible without doing it the current way first, as an
intermediate step.