[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Add a way to interleave source code in assembler output

Andrey Bokhanko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 5 13:32:34 PST 2017

Hi Roger,

I would *really* love to see this feature available -- writing in a
combination of C and inline assembler is still quite common in embedded
software development. Verbose asm would be a very useful tool in debugging.

...speaking on inline assembler, I wonder how your implementation works
with it? Does it simply print a whole inline assembly statement (from C
source code) before printing it again (from generated assembler)?

> For clang it would simply mean to add a flag like -fsource-asm or maybe
extend the meaning of -fverbose-asm (like it will happen in GCC 7 but see
some further comments below).

I vote for the latter. GCC is still most commonly used compiler in embedded
development (for which generating assembler file is most relevant) -- the
closer we are to it, the better for everyone.

Yours,
Andrey