[llvm-dev] Bootstrapping LLVM+LLD with GCC toolchain failure

S. Jacobi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 26 14:23:33 PST 2017

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 16:14:02 +0100
Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2017, at 12:00, S. Jacobi via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I have a working GCC toolchain and wanted to use LLVM tooling
> > instead. Following the instructions on the website I set up my
> > build directory and have lld as an internal project under tools/.
> > I'd like to make use of lld in stage 2 of the build and thought
> > -DLLVM_ENABLE_LLD was the correct option to pass. However, adding
> > this options makes the configure step fail, complaining that the
> > compiler (GCC) does not support -fuse-ld=lld.
> > Is it possible, and if yes - how, to set up a 2-stages build to
> > compile LLVM, Clang and LLD so that in stage 2, only LLVM tools are
> > part of the build process?
>
> For your second stage, use -D
> CMAKE_C_COMPILER=/path/to/your/first/stage/clang -D
> CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/path/to/your/first/stage/clang++, and add -D
> LINK_FLAGS=-fuse-ld=lld.
>
> -Dimitry

So to achieve what I want I have to use 2 cmake invocations? Because,
and I should have been clear about that in the first mail, what I was
hoping for is a simple setup where I pass the -DCLANG_ENABLE_BOOTSTRAP
option next to all other cmake options I want to set and after that
invoke the generator once, hoping that cmake set up targets for stage 1
and 2, with the proper dependencies.