[llvm-dev] [RFC] - Deduplication of debug information in linkers (LLD).

George Rimar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 15 07:47:17 PST 2017

>Not quite sure what you mean by "on linker side" - but I guess you mean using linker features like comdats etc, rather than DWARF parsing/reassembly/etc.

I mean that it probably not a good idea for external library. I feel it is much more convinent to do such proccessing in a linker.

Linker do and knows much more about things like sections that are ICFed, eliminated, about COMDATs and many things like strings dedups.

So it can rebuild relocations and perform DWARF deduplication probably in a faster/more convinent way probably than external API could provide.

Honestly I did not yet think about it too much, just current feelings.

GeŠ¾rge.