[llvm-dev] devirtualization with new-PM pipeline

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 13 18:31:03 PST 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:27 PM Easwaran Raman via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Yes, this looks broken in the new PM. The DevirtSCCRepeatedPass::run
> method first scans the functions in the SCC to collect value handles for
> indirect calls, runs the CGSCC pass pipeline and then checks if any of the
> call value handles now point to  a direct call, in which case it runs the
> pipeline again (which should inline the devirtualized call) . The problem
> is scanning the initial SCC for indirect calls is not enough since inlining
> can produce indirect calls (which could then get devirtualized by later
> passes). One (ugly) fix is to pass the value handles to the inliner
> through  CGSCCUpdateResult and let the inliner augment it as the caller
> gets indirect calls due to inlining.

Yeah, this is a frustrating tradeoff....

The new PM's approach here is dramatically simpler, but can't handle
certain edge cases. I'm not sure how much complexity it is worth adding
here.

The other way to address this is to not try so hard to exactly match the
old PM's behavior. Instead of trying to detect when an indirect call is
turned into a direct call, we could do something more like iterating to a
fixed-point, or at least a fixed point of inlining. This is even simpler
than the current approach and also more robust (it would handle cases like
you describe).