[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Who wants faster LLVM/Clang builds?

Kim Gräsman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 10 07:39:56 PST 2017

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Michael Zolotukhin
<mzolotukhin at apple.com> wrote:

> Nice to IWYU developers here:) I wonder how hard it would be to run IWYU on
> LLVM/Clang (or, if it’s supposed to work, I wonder what I did wrong).

There are known problems with running IWYU over LLVM/Clang -- Zachary
Turner made an attempt a while back to get it up and running. Since
the LLVM tree uses all sorts of modern and moderately complex
patterns, we're struggling to keep up.

> If we also can tweak it a bit to make it choose more human-like (~more
> conservative) decisions, we would be able to just apply what it suggests!

Different humans appear to have different preferences :)

It'd be great to hear more about specifics, maybe you can bring them
up on the IWYU list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/include-what-you-use?

Some of IWYU's controversial changes are by design, but some are just
bugs, and if you have ideas for a more principled design, we
appreciate all the input we can get.

Thanks,
- Kim