[llvm-dev] Who wants faster LLVM/Clang builds?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 5 21:59:58 PST 2017

> To find which header files could be removed it scanned the file for
"#include" lines and tried to remove them one by one (checking if the file
still compiles after the removal). When there were no more include lines to
remove, we verified the change with ninja+ninja check.

It looks like this makes us rely heavily on transitive header includes --
is that right?

Specifically what I mean is, suppose foo.cc uses class1 and class2.
class2.h #includes "class1.h".  If foo.cc had a #include for class1.h and
class2.h, this tool will remove the include of class1.h.  Is that right?

If so, seems like probably more aggressive than we want to be, because it
makes our codebase fragile: If someone removes class1.h from class2.h, it
may break foo.cc.

I'm sure we can find many situations like this today, but this approach
seems it would make that situation much more common.

IWYU would avoid this pitfall, although I know IWYU has its own problems.
Alternatively maybe if the tool only removed headers whose removal
significantly decreased the preprocessed size of the file, we'd know that
we actually removed "something interesting".

-Justin