[llvm-dev] Need help with review: configurable register sizes in TableGen

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 29 09:08:41 PDT 2017

Hi All,

I've been working on implementing this feature for almost a year now.
Here's a link to the original thread:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-September/105027.html.
Several people have expressed their interest in this work, and the
actual development of it is complete at this point.

In April I posted a few patches for review, the shorter ones were
committed, but the longer one is taking more time:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D31951.
In essence, it replaces TableGen's type inference to allow pattern
matching in the presence of parametrized register classes.  In addition
to that, it changes the emission of register class data to reflect the
parametrization.

Several people have been helping with the reviewing, but due to the size
of the patch (it's not easily reducible), it's probably hard to expect
any individual person to review it entirely.

I'd like to get some general agreement that this patch can be committed
(or comments about what can be improved before committing).  I'll be
fixing any issues that come up.  This is the last chunk of code in this
project that is still waiting for review.

I updated the review summary with the overview of the implementation
(including rationale for various decisions).

I hope to get this committed soon.  A patch that utilizes this in
Hexagon will follow shortly.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation