[llvm-dev] libc implementation for the llvm project

Jean-Daniel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 28 23:24:53 PDT 2017

They already had been discussed in the past. The answer is probably never. Libc are far more system dependent.

Each system has it’s own for good reasons. They need to interact closely with the kernel, and so can’t be generic. Of course there is a bunch of functions that may be shared, but there is also large part of the API that can’t.

Moreover, you will have a hard time convincing people to use yet another libc. I don’t expect linux to replace glibc, Apple need a very tight control of its libc and is not going to anything but its own.