[llvm-dev] [RFC] 'Review corner' section in LLVM Weekly

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 28 10:09:01 PDT 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 3:43 AM, Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 27 August 2017 at 01:50, Bekket McClane <bekket.mcclane at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > Thank you very much for raising this crucial issue again.
> > And I think the review corner would be a good way to solve it.
> >
> > However, I’m worry about that the traffic of the list would eventually
> become too high, and looses the ‘highlighter’ feature that it should have
> > After all, no one wants the ‘headline of unreviewed patches' to be a
> 1000+ items list.
>
> Hi Bekket, thanks for the response.
>
> I've been following llvm-commits pretty intently for the last 6 weeks
> or so. My impression is that the list of patches that are stuck on
> reviews and received a 'ping' in that time isn't too huge. I think the
> important thing to remember is that the review process is working well
> for a large volume of patches, so we're talking about highlighting a
> fairly small subset.

FWIW: I built and ran a gcc patch tracker back in the day that parsed
patches out of the mailing list that were waiting review, identified likely
code owners, and built a table, and colored them by status.

It worked remarkably well to see which areas of the compiler needed more
people who could review patches, etc.
(it was not really meant to shame people :P).

It ended up getting very heavily used, and it presented relatively hard
data.

So i suspect what you suggest, or some variant may help.

(It also seems like it would be really easy to  do the above in phab now).