[llvm-dev] RISC-V LLVM status update

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 23 14:54:39 PDT 2017

On 21 August 2017 at 11:06, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> ## Next steps and getting involved
> The plan has always been to work from the MC-layer upwards towards reliable
> RV32I codegen. This then provides a stable 'core' of the backend where it's
> easy for further development work to be parallelised, and for others to make
> contributions. I think we're now at that point.
>
> I would really like to avoid setting up a new 'downstream', and to use this
> opportunity to pull in new people to upstream LLVM development.  However
> collaboration is made rather difficult for now due to the large gap between
> the patches that have been reviewed and committed upstream vs the complete
> patchset. If you would like to help, reviewing the remaining patches
> <https://reviews.llvm.org/differential/?authors=asb&order=updated> is an
> incredibly valuable way to do so. If you would like to be listed as a reviewer
> for future patches, just let me know (and feel free to add yourself for
> existing patches). I'll be doing some refactoring of RISCVInstrInfo.td as
> discussed here
> <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-August/116635.html>, but this
> is a straight-forward non-functional change. Other than that, there are no
> planned changes to the patches currently up for review.

I've gone ahead and separated instruction and pattern definitions,
refreshing the affected patches. Since starting this thread, I'm able
to add Dylan McKay to my credits list - thanks for stepping in with
useful review comments. I'd still really, really appreciate additional
help in terms of moving the review process forwards. I've put a lot of
effort in to splitting this whole thing up in to incremental and
testable patches (to the extent this is feasible for a new backend at
least) in order to make reviewing as easy as possible.

Best,

Alex