[llvm-dev] Relicensing: Revised Developer Policy

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 13 03:40:52 PDT 2017

On 11 Aug 2017, at 17:02, Pavan Maddamsetti via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> It is my interest to see my code used. In particular I am really excited
>> to see llvm/clang/lld/lldb/etc replacing more and more of the previous
>> components on these systems. I really don't want to harm that change.
>>
>> If FreeBSD and OpenBSD are OK with license X, I am OK with license X.
>
> Rafael,
>
> It is my understanding that Apache 2.0 licensed code will not be
> integrated into OpenBSD under the current copyright policy:
> https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html
>
> This is problematic given that the default compiler on amd64 and i386
> was just changed to clang:
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=150109829003860
>
> OpenBSD developers have previously made their position clear during
> this discussion:
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2017-April/112300.html

The problem, from the perspective of OpenBSD, appears to be precisely the desired goal of the relicensing, so I don’t believe that there is any possibility of satisfying both OpenBSD and everyone else simultaneously.

> That said, Chris and others have made it clear that the relicensing
> process will proceed as planned. LLVM will most likely be forked.

That would be unfortunate, but I doubt that a fork under the old license would gain much traction as the employers of the vast majority of active contributors are very keen on the patent protection clauses that are so problematic for OpenBSD.

David